June 12, 2018
Do you need a periodontist? While your general practitioner can perform a variety of dental procedures, some treatments are best reserved for a specialist. A periodontist is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of periodontal tissue and bone. If you have gum disease, for example, or need dental implants, a periodontist is the doctor you want to see, but how do you know which periodontist in Lafayette, LA, is the right one for you?
Most general dentists will provide you with a referral but if that is not an option or you are not happy with the referral doctor, you can find a specialist on your own.
The Periodontist Checklist
- How long has the periodontist been in practice? Experience is important.
- Does the periodontist participate in continuing education? Advancements in research and technology can change the landscape of treatment options drastically. You want a doctor who is up-to-date on the latest procedures and diagnostics, like laser gum surgery for gum disease or 3D imaging. Your results and your patient experience will benefit from it.
- Do you feel comfortable in the office and does the staff make you feel welcomed?
- Is the doctor conservative about treatment? The right periodontist will recommend preserving as much of your smile as possible while still offering treatments to improve its health and appearance.
- Do they take your insurance? When treatment is not affordable, it can be an obstacle to getting the care you need.
- Is emergency care available? What about sedation dentistry options?
- Is the office convenient to your home or work?
- Are the hours convenient for your schedule?
- What do online review sites say about the practice? While it is true that everyone has different preferences, a majority of people should have something good to share about their experience.
For excellent care from a periodontist in Lafayette, LA, patients turn to Dr. James M. Finley. If you would like to schedule a consultation with our specialist, call our office today.