December 15, 2017
Millions of people have gum disease and many are completely unaware that they have it. Others choose to ignore their swollen, bleeding gums, assuming that the condition will go away if they brush more frequently. There are many myths about gum disease that are harming your oral health. Dr. Kaz M. Zymantis ranks patient information as a high priority in the fight against bleeding gums in Naperville, IL.
What Your Dentist Wants You to Know About Gum Disease
- Prevention can be as simple as proper brushing and flossing, but lifestyle plays a role, too. Smoking and certain medications like blood thinners—all can increase your risk of developing gum disease.
- Gum disease can rob you of your smile. Over time, periodontal infection progresses from swollen, bleeding gums to include bad breath, gum recession, deepened periodontal pockets, teeth sensitivity, loose or shifting teeth, bone loss, and tooth loss.
- Periodontal infection can devastate your overall wellness. Linked with cancer, dementia, low birth weight in babies, stroke, and heart disease, gum disease can have a significant impact on your health.
- Treatments are more comfortable and convenient than ever. Gone are the days when the only treatment was to remove the infected tissue with a scalpel. Modern dentistry offers antibiotics, and non-surgical deep cleanings, as well as advanced laser surgery for moderate to severe cases.
- There is no reason to postpone treatment. The earlier your dentist can identify and treat gum disease, the better it is for you. It protects your oral health and your budget, too. Delaying treatment only leads to additional surgeries for gum or bone grafting, sinus lifts, or tooth replacement. Your doctor wants to save you from extensive treatment plans and help you keep the teeth you have.
Patients who have bleeding gums in Naperville, IL, turn to Dr. Zymantas for high quality treatment of gum disease. Call our office to schedule your consultation now.