November 3, 2017
If you are like most people, you may not be familiar with crown lengthening procedures. It is, however, an important tool for both cosmetic and restorative dentistry. Crown lengthening is often performed by a periodontist in order to access the base of your tooth, when placing a crown or to expose more of a tooth surface to fix a gummy smile in Catonsville, MD.
The Advantages of Crown Lengthening
- Improved periodontal health
- Contoured, even gum lines
- More attractive, symmetrical smile
- Corrects the appearance of short teeth
- Facilitates the placement of bridges and crowns
Cosmetic vs. Functional Crown Lengthening
- Functional Crown Lengthening: When a tooth is badly decayed or broken beneath the gum line, your doctor will need to expose the base of the tooth in order to prepare it for a crown. This is accomplished by removing the excessive gum tissue. There must also be space left between the base of your gum line and the crown to ensure the health of your teeth and gums.
- Cosmetic Crown Lengthening: Some people have an excessive amount of gum tissue. When they smile, their teeth appear to be shorter due to the overgrowth of periodontal tissue. Cosmetic crown lengthening is the process of removing the excess tissue in order to create a more balanced, beautiful smile. Gum lines can be raised and contoured to create a symmetrical frame for the teeth.
Do you have a gummy smile in Catonsville, MD? If you would like more information about how you can have a more attractive smile through crown lengthening, contact our office to schedule your consultation with Dr. Ari Moskowitz. Our experienced periodontist can help you to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure.