August 15, 2018
Have you ever wondered what your periodontist wants to see when doing an examination? You might be surprised to learn that at our office, one of the most important elements of any appointment is to ensure a patient has healthy gums to ward off problems like gingivitis, the earliest form of gum disease.
What are indications that someone doesn’t have healthy gums in Chesterfield, MO?
- The gums are red, not pink. Very red gums are often a sign of gingivitis or more advanced gum disease stages.
- The gums bleed at the slightest touch. In fact, they may bleed without any prompting.
- The gums appear to be swollen. They may even show signs of infection, such as pus coming out from the periodontal pockets.
- The gums emit an unpleasant odor that contributes to bad breath but cannot be brushed away.
- The gums are receding or pulling back from the teeth. This exposes the teeth, tooth root and possibly jaw bone to bacteria.
When a periodontist notices any of these issues, he or she usually recommends an immediate course of action. Why the urgency? When caught as gingivitis, gum disease can be completely treated and and can reestablish healthy gums. If gingivitis is allowed to persist without professional intervention, it becomes chronic and requires consistent management.
Of course, you can take steps to make sure you don’t develop gingivitis or any other form of gum disease by taking some simple steps:
- Practice good oral hygiene at home. Brush and floss twice daily and be sure to follow any recommendations from your dental health providers, such as to use a special mouth rinse or toothbrush. This will help ensure healthy gums and teeth.
- Examine your gums regularly and look for any changes. Healthy gums should be pink in color. Notice something that concerns you? Call the periodontist during business hours (unless it’s an emergency). The faster you get into the office, the sooner you’ll know what it is.
- Keep all your dental appointments. Don’t skip a six-month cleaning because your teeth don’t “feel” dirty. Plaque and bacteria cannot be removed at home and often aren’t noticeable until they require professional intervention.
- If you find out you have gingivitis, don’t panic. Simply follow-through with your periodontal appointments and be diligent about taking care of your health.
Like the idea of having healthy gums in Chesterfield, MO? We do, too! And if you’re looking for a new periodontist, feel free to call us to schedule an examination.